Monday, July 26, 2010

Diamonds in the Rough and a Question

This last Friday the 23rd, I decided to hit up a Gee-Double-Yuh that had a grand reopening near my house. They had moved locations across the street and the old one was looking kinda sad in the inventory department. HoLy CrAp!!! There was so much good stuff! But as it was not 50% off day and I swore to the Hubs that I wouldn't go overboard, I decided just to look for things I already knew I wanted. SCORE!!! I found these beauties here:

Total price? $7.98, 99 cents per Mason jar, and $2.99 for the cheese plate.
Earlier this month, I purchased a Mason jar like these and for some reason didn't buy the other one that was sitting right next to it. I have been regretting it ever since. So when I saw these babies, I snatched them up immediately! The little old lady I nearly knocked down probably thought I was off my rocker cradling them like precious newborns... And the cheese plate! I plan on making this into an adorable cloche, so I can join the Cloche Club!

Just when I thought my thrifting day couldn't get any better, I stopped by an estate sale on the way home where I picked up these lovelies:
Total Price? 75 cents!!! That's right! 75 CENTS!!! SQUEEEALL! I was so excited about my little treasures. My original plan was to take these little jewels and really pretty them up with some Heirloom White and a little glazing. But first, I decided to do a little research.

After searching around I found that my pretty blue Mason jars are a limited edition Bicentennial Celebration jar made in 1976. (Was not planning to paint these...) They are somewhat rare and the pint jars sell anywhere from $10-$15. The quart jars sell for around $20. Not bad for 99 cents each, eh?


But that's not the best of it, I looked these guys up too:


This Cellini-Craft Platter sells for around $25.



Isn't that detail work beautiful? This little Everlast Metal Platter sells for about $35.


And lastly, these little Stede Pewter Porringers. I was amazed to discover that just ONE of these little (4-6") sweeties can go for $55!!! WHAT??? I didn't believe it either!

So, here's my question... Do I go ahead with my original plan and paint these? Or should I keep them in their current state? Now, I'm not out to make a buck, so I'm not planning on selling them... I'm just not sure whether I should keep them in their antique glory, or give them a new life with a coat of paint. Can you fellow bloggers help me with my dilemma? I would really appreciate it!

Thank you in advance,

See my Linkies Page above to see the parties I'm joining!

7 comments:

  1. I love your thrifty finds! Come by sometime and see mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First thing. What is a cloche?
    Second...well done on your treasures! They are wonderful!
    Your Everlast plate is just lovely as is. The others look like they need a new lease on life though. Make sure you let us know what you end up deciding.


    Ky x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should enjoy them in whatever form you want. Personally, I would not paint them. I keep waiting for my big find and you got several in one day. Way to go! (Hubby should be proud.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would think if you paint those treasures, they will lose their value - I'd keep them as is...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great treasures! I never get up early enough on Saturday to get the good stuff! Thank you for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I vote 'as is' because of their value. I'm sure you can mix the silvers with some blue & toss in a few cream-colored thrift goodies for a really nice look...
    ♥hugs♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all, I found you charming. Secondly, I agree with Nora and say that those findings are lovely in their natural state, mixed with other painted finds later. They would also look great with a pressed tin backsplash that someone I know is planning on putting in their dream kitchen someday...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I read them ALL! Please let me know how you found me and thanks for visiting!